Here’s a simple recipe for making aloo bhaja (finger chips). This makes an excellent accompaniment with dal rice or roti.
1. Chop the potatoes into thin long slices (finger chips) and keep aside.
2. Heat 2 tsp of mustard oil in a pan. Put in 2 tsp jeera and 2 whole dried red chillies and fry a little. Remember to break the chilly into 2 pieces to get maximum flavor.
3. Once the jeera and chillies stop spluttering put in the potatoes. Stir it so the potatoes are covered with the oil and jeera. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Now put in about 1 tsp of jeera powder and 1 tsp of haldi and salt. Stir well and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes. Cover the pan and allow it to cook on medium flame.
5. After 5 minutes open the lid. The potatoes should have softened. Add 1 onion finely chopped and 1 green chilly finely chopped. Stir well and check the seasoning. Add salt if required.
6. If you like, add a pinch of sugar and a pinch of Garam masala. Stir well.
7. Cook this on a low flame for about 10 minutes till the potatoes are cooked through. You can tell that the potatoes are cooked if they are soft. Pick up one and take a bite. You should be able to tell if they are cooked or not.
8. Sprinkle some Dhaniya patti (coriander leaves) and enjoy!
*Remember to taste at every stage!
Let me know how it turns out. Feel free to add any suggestions to make this even better!